torstai 15. tammikuuta 2009

A chinese wave

I have made some progress in my chinese-ation. (Adapting to China, that is.)



- I can eat with the sticks, no problem.



- I push the door closing button in the elevator like a real Chinese: as soon as people have entered, or preferably already before. And like crazy, that is. If someone else is still trying to come in, you just keep pushing.



- I don't think just because green light is on you can cross a road safely. It only means there are less cars trying to run you over.



- I don't try to dodge if my Chinese teacher (a lady) reaches for my hand to walk arm in arm.



- But one of the things I don't know how to do in a proper way, is to wave. You would not think that is difficult, would you, but it is. And when I have observed Chinese ladies, I think this is really something I should learn. (For men, it is optional, but recommended.) So, I have made instructions to myself how to practice.


  1. Bend your arm from the elbow, so that your hand is at your chest level

  2. and keep your wrist relaxed

  3. and keep your fingers relatively straight, but do not try to extend them.

  4. Keep fingers quite close to each other

  5. and move your hand, the part from wrist to the tip of your fingers, in a rapid pace.

  6. There are two styles: I am not 100% sure about this, but I think if you wave to your friends, it is more common that your fingers point up, and the movement happens sideways.

  7. Second is more commonly used to wave for example taxi driver to stop. I personally think this is the truly hardcore one, much more challenging than the previous. In this version your hand bends (towards the object of the wave) in about 45 degree angle from the wrist. You start your fingers pointing up, then bend your hand, and then your fingers point forward. Again and again, and so you wave: up and down, up and down.

  8. Which ever version you try, remember this: most important is to keep the wave rapid and relaxed, so that the movement becomes sort of uncontrolled, in a controlled way. You might think that suits well for me, considering I regularly bump into tables, doorways and other furniture, but no. It is really difficult.

  9. Now you try!

Ei kommentteja: