torstai 24. syyskuuta 2009

Ban flying!

Chinese National Day is drawing close. This year, it is the 60th birthday of the People's Republic of China. October 1st is the big day, and this year, because it is combined with Mid-Autumn Festival, we have eight (8!!!) days vacation to celebrate the two. Well, I am flying to Finland, to celebrate the wedding of a good friend.

Also, I have no idea how it happened, but during the eight day vacation, I am WORKING 5 or 6 days. That doesn't sound right, does it? What the heck went wrong? Maybe it has some connection to the fact that of my 4 week summer vacation I have spend just one week... I dunno, have to investigate further.

Anyway, what I wanted to tell you relates to flying. Namely Beijing has banned "flying activities" starting 15th of September, due to the upcoming National Day. It is for security reasons. This applies to sports, recreational and advertising flights. But not only those! They have also banned kite flying, because of security reasons. They have banned balloons. Because of security reasons. They have banned pigeon flying, because of security reasons. (Did someone watch Alfred Hitscock's "The Birds" recently, or..?)

Head of the Public Security Squadron of the Beijing Municipal Security Bureau, Mr. Li encourages citizens to report to police if they see these flying objects.

Pigeons! Balloons, for Pete's sake! Please excuse me while I tremble as I think of these horrible threaths to our security.

Ei kommentteja: